I am becoming more and more excited with organic bread baking! Because my daughters love deli-style sandwiches, fresh rolls and, of course, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, I have been on a quest to find a delicious, soft bread recipe that I could bake organically and that wouldn’t tend to dry out by the next day.
I headed straight to Pinterest where I found an overwhelming amount of “the best” bread recipes. I went ahead and picked one, and I do believe this has been my favorite bread so far!
I absolutely love baking bread from scratch now — organic with no preservatives, additives or ingredients that really shouldn’t be there. This bread has only six ingredients and is so much better than store-bought!
Homemade French Bread
*recipe slightly adapted from lil’ luna
*I prefer to use all organic ingredients
- 2 Tablespoons dry yeast
- ½ cup warm water
- 2 cups hot water
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 5 Tablespoons grape seed oil
- 6 cups flour, divided
- Dissolve your yeast in ½ cup warm water.
- In a large mixing bowl combine hot water, sugar, salt, oil and 3 cups of the flour and stir.
- In a stand mixer, use the paddle attachment to mix the yeast mixture and the hot water/flour mixture together.
- Add the remaining 3 cups of flour, one cup at a time, mixing after each addition. Once all of the flour is added, cover with a clean dishtowel and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Separate your dough into 3 pieces (I typically make a sandwich loaf, traditional French loaf and some extra rolls or buns.) This dough is very sticky, so you will probably want to flour your hands and sprinkle a little on the dough itself. On a floured surface, roll each piece into a rectangle shape then form into a oblong loaf or place in a greased bread pan. You can also form this dough into round balls, slightly flattened, for rolls and buns.
- Place the dough on a greased baking pan, seam side down. Score the bread across the top 3 or 4 times, and brush with additional grape seed oil. Cover and let dough rise for 30-40 minutes in a warm place.
- Bake on the middle rack for 20 minutes at 375 degrees or until golden brown.
- Note – when baking hamburger/hot dog buns or rolls, baking time will be approximately 15 minutes, depending on the size of your bread.